Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 8 May 2011

Info Post

The medal looked plain and simple but unique- a bekantan on the run. But getting this one after a two-month 42K medal drought by way of three missed marathons was reassuring- like the bekantan, I too can still run!

I would get the medal in Kota Kinabalu or KK, capital city of Sabah state in Borneo Island, East Malaysia. The event was the 3rd staging of the Borneo International Marathon (BIM).
This being my first visit to KK, exploring the city on foot was high on the list of priorities. Saturday, I would roam the streets of KK before bumping into other runners claiming the race packs at the community center of the city.

On Saturday night was held a pasta party. A generous assortment of Western pizza and pasta competed with Asian noodles and rice. The runners downed them gladly- all were for free.
Back at my hotel was done the last minute race gear assembly. Save for a new SLS3 race sleeves and a pair of marathon-virgin Brooks Glycerin 8s, all items were battle-tested in earlier 42Ks.

Early morning Sunday, non-local runners were bused to the start and finish area- the Likas Sports Stadium, a good 6 or 7 kilometers away from the center of the city.

As the the bus runs began a bit early- starting from my hotel at exactly 0240- those of us including several Marathon Maniacs who arrived early had ample time to pose for posterity.

Some 3000+ runners registered for four race categories that first day of May- a 42K, a 21K, a 10K, and a charity run 2K. But less than 500 ran the full mary.

At exactly 400AM, the full marathon runners began to speed away. Save for the rubberized track oval of Likas Stadium, it was concrete and asphalt running all the way.

That early in KK, the roads were yet dark and very lonely. But a more than sufficient number of marshals, some on foot and others on bikes, kept the runners company.

Even a complete power blackout that occurred during the first 10K did not dampen the spirits of the runners that day- most remained happy and very camera-friendly.

I saw very few cheering squads the rest of the way. But the few who were there gave their all- from early morning till mid-day.

At about the 15K, I met the lead runners, all Kenyans, already on their way back to the city. Turns out the eventual second placer, Daniel Koringo, sat next to me, even borrowing my Runners' Chicken Soup book, on the flight to KK.

Dawn broke as we were about to enter the heart of the city. Couldn't help but admire the smog-free skyline of KK. Everything was still and quite and the roads were human and car traffic-free.

There were enough hydration stops along the way- almost at every 2.5K. Yellow t-shirt clad race marshals and volunteers handed out water and isotonic drinks to make sure nobody became thirsty.

In darkness, I did not bother to glance at my Garmin 310XT until after I reached 20K. And when I did, I realized I was running just about OK for a projected finish of 4:30.

As we passed the halfway point, it was difficult to ignore the tireless shouts of a Caucasian lady- encouraging the now mostly solo runners to go, go, go all the way. She even high-5'd me!

But it really would have been difficult to stop and surrender at that point, what with the scenic sights of Likas Bay and refreshing views of the south China Sea.


And so refreshed we entered the center of KK, somewhat jealous to encounter the last wave of 21K and 10K runners already returning to Likas Stadium and on their last 5K.

There were at least two first aid stations with ambulances posted along the way; I stopped at one, had my legs sprayed with liniment, to deaden the pain should it ever come to my knees- it stayed away.

The temperature plus humidity levels that day made everybody feel like it was 99 deg F or 39 deg C. By the last 5K, the now-dispersed runners were just happy to run along the shadows of KK's lush greenery.

Happier they became to see this congratulatory banner greeting them as they turned a corner towards Likas. Under the scorching heat, well done indeed it was to have reached the last 1K.

It took me 4 hours, 59 minutes, and 24 seconds to run this out-and-back route of the Borneo 42K. This was my 11th full marathon in the last 12 months (the second in Malaysia) in 9 different countries.

The plain but unique medal was awarded right where we started that day. At the finish area, I again had the chance to pose with other Insane Asylum regulars whom I've previously met running 42Ks in other Asian cities.

Borneo mission accomplished, the afternoon was spent chilling out in this city famous not just for Mt. Kinabalu but also for its rich marine and land biodiversity. Relaxed as I watched the sun set on the South China Sea, it finally hit me- I had just ran a hard 42K on Labor Day!

Selamat Datang KK!



0 comments:

Post a Comment