Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 24 April 2011

Info Post


One of the challenges faced when visiting a densely populated area such as Delhi is finding a good road to run. While this was already my 6th visit to this megalopolis of 14 million, the second most populous city in India after Mumbai, I had confined my running during previous visits to hotel gyms and small neighborhood parks.

With a couple of 42Ks coming up in May, running an LSD on the road was simply necessary. Doing this along major thoroughfares like Patel Road appeared unsafe due to the heavy traffic that builds up faster than one can count from one to three before eight o'clock every morning of a work day.

Not daring to venture too far from my hotel, I did my initial running around the neighborhood. But stray dogs lurking in corners or that appeared out of nowhere were effective pace breakers, forcing me to stop every now and then, lest they be attracted too much to the naked flesh just below my running shorts.

I was therefore pleased to find and initially use a small neighborhood park nearby where walkers and joggers congregated for their early morning/evening exercise. Along the way, I also noticed numerous fitness gyms that appeared to cater to Delhi's yuppies, with some being exclusive to the fairer sex only.

Very close to my hotel was a science complex that also served as running haven for academics, students, and fitness buffs in the area. With tree-lined avenues and pedestrian paths, this complex seemed suited for running even during summertime when temperatures in the city soar beyond the 40s.

But it was at the Dev Prakash Shastri Avenue in Pusa, New Delhi that I would eventually find what I was looking for- a nice long stretch of road that was traffic-free before six o'clock in the morning Monday to Friday. Save for a bicyclist or a cow crossing the avenue in a leisurely way, this road was truly runner-friendly.

My 15K running route in New Delhi.
Of course there are other more spectacular places to run in Delhi- such as around the Parliament House and its imposing 144 columns or near the majestic India Gate and its surrounding greenery. But running these places and the oft-cancelled Delhi International Marathon and the more regular Delhi Half Marathon will have to wait another day.  Meanwhile, namaste (नमस्ते). 




0 comments:

Post a Comment